Throughout all our school activities and lessons, we encourage all of our children to have a positive view of themselves along with a respect for others. We have a duty to promote British values through the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of our pupils.
The ‘fundamental British values’ are:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
SMSC development and British values are not taught as separate subjects; they are embedded in all aspects of school life, and take a variety of forms:
- the behaviour that we expect of our pupils in the classroom and playground;
- our STARS Reward System and Positive Behaviour Policy;
- the topics that they cover during PSHE lessons;
- our collective worship and religious education;
- our School Council, Head Boys & Girls, Playground Leaders, and Sports Ambassadors;
- the before- and after-school clubs that we offer;
- creative curriculum topics exploring other countries and cultures;
- international menus;
- participating in fundraisers, such as Children in Need;
- promoting awareness weeks, such as “Rule Out Racism” and Anti-Bullying.